RUNAWAY SLAVE

A journey to embrace, explore, and honor the Freedom and Power inherent in active recovery.



No more shame...

No more shackles....

No more secrets.



The path--and the Power--are within. Be Free.





Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"The Whole Truth" by Alan Cohen

(from Alan Cohen's meditation book, A Deep Breath of Life)

September 16
"A married man is interested in me," Marilyn told me. "But I don't feel attracted to him." 
"What did you tell him?" I asked.
"I told him that I do not date married men."
When I heard Marilyn's response, something did not sit well with me. "You did not tell him the whole truth," I ventured. 
"What do you mean?"
"The bottom line is that you are not interested in a relationship with this man. The fact that he is married is secondary. What would you do if he got divorced, showed up at your door with flowers, and announced, 'Here I am-not married anymore'?"
"I guess I would tell him I was not interested in creating a relationship with him."
"That's the other half of the truth you need to tell now."
Life is a series of lessons in discovering the truth and living it. Whenever we hedge, compromise, withhold, deny, or camouflage what is really happening, sooner or later we will have to retrace our steps to the point where we diverted from the whole truth, and tell it. Speak up now, and avoid the rush later.
Take a moment to consider any areas of your life in which you have not told the whole truth. This is not to make you guilty, but to liberate you. Whenever we set aside what is happening and pretend, our "stash" robs our energy from being fully present. Consider what you would say if you had the courage to put your cards on the table. Although the prospect may be challenging, it is a lot less work than carrying a lie and then having to come back and say what you wanted to say in the first place.
Help me be aware of the truth and have the courage to live it.
The truth is my strength and my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment